Thursday, January 12, 2017

Writing Vomit-January 2017 edition

I haven't been able to write for a long time. The lack of posts here is certainly indicative of that. Part of the problem is that my kids are older and I no longer feel that I can write their stories for them, even though they've given me permission. There is so much more than just writing about my kids and yet I can't seem to transition to writing about non-parenting themes. I can write about pretty much anything at this point since almost no one reads or writes blogs anymore. Also, I remember when I started this blog and thought I would keep it secret and no one would really read it that I know, especially not relatives. Then I ended up telling everyone (almost everyone) about it anyway because I can't make up my mind.

This will be exceptionally hard to read because I was going to not use any paragraphs but instead I will randomly start a new paragraph. Writing teachers always told me to just vomit words to get to writing. This may be very awkward for all of us for weeks or months. All 3 of us that might still read here. (Hi friend and mom!)

My life no longer consists of staying home and taking care of my babies (who have not been babies for a while). I started working outside the home at an elementary school in November 2015. I started out as a noon time paraprofessional for 1.75 hours per day because I wanted to try to lose weight and I wanted to try the Medifast program. It's kind of expensive so I thought I'd work a few hours to try to pay for the program.

Medifast has worked and hasn't worked. I've lost about 50 pounds, but my weight has stayed around this weight for many months now. The program works if you follow it. I have a hard time getting in all the food I am supposed to eat. I'm also supposed to limit my milk intake and I kind of enjoy a glass of fat free milk in the mornings. So that doesn't work so well. I'm sure I'll write more about this journey.

Work has gradually increased since I started. The 1.75 was kind of a hard gig because I didn't know students outside of lunch and recess and I totally missed contact with many grades. It's hard to be taken seriously when you know literally nothing about a kid.

There is a long series of increases in hours, interviews, then change in focus. I moved from general education to special education. The move has been really rewarding. I work with kids with emotional and/or behavior disorders. These are some really special kids and I love the ones I know. The ones I don't know? I'm certain they are cool kids too.

Relationships are the key. Connect with someone. If it's a kid that needs a little help? No matter what these kids want someone to care about them. It may take some time to convince the child that you care. Don't take this transition time personally. It has nothing to do with you.

Enough vomit for today.

1 people like me!:

Deborah said...

I love reading what you "vomit" out. You have a way of saying things in a very readable believable style, so continue to vomit out your words.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs