Monday, January 4, 2010

Hopeful and Aweigh

Things have not normalized yet around here. The kids are tired and cranky, picking fights with one another and crying or yelling over the smallest infraction. We've attempted to move bedtime earlier, or at least we've had the intention to do so, but we find them still awake at least an hour past their bedtimes.


D is fussy and fitful, presumably working on another tooth, but she sees the things her siblings do to one another and to her and copies them as any toddler would. I can't help but point out to the big kids where she's learning these lovely activities. She's morphed into a curmudgeonly old woman at times, grunting ahg! with disdain when the item she carries slips from her grip. Just as suddenly, however, she bursts into the most delightful toddler giggles.


I've made some progress on de-cluttering the house (and hopefully my mind). It's a small dent, but a dent nonetheless. My hope is to continue to plug away at at least some small reorganizing task every day. Yesterday I cleaned Miss M's bedroom. It was not a thorough cleaning though since I didn't tackle underneath the bed or the "far side" of the bed, but I feel better about the state of her room mostly because you can actually see the floor. She has a little room back to play with her 472975 toys. I also went through several boxes of papers and miscellaneous stuff and threw away a few bags of stuff. I dug through the basket that was supposed to hold Ms. D's diapers but somehow became a catch-all for anything pertaining to her. It now holds diapers and the 2 pairs of shoes that still fit her instead of the 6 pairs that she has outgrown. There is much, much more to do but seeing the progress I made yesterday and the day before is encouraging. I can do this and get my home and my life back under control.

The holidays have passed us and it's time to get Aweigh back in progress. I'm setting the start date for January 18. More details tomorrow, but if you want to participate please send me an email letting me know, and also what you will donate as a prize.

So we enter the last week of the big kids' school break not tired of one another, but tired. The week will again go too quickly and they will be back in school and I'll wonder where the time has gone. Seven more days to try to make happy memories and just be together with these little (not so little as they used to be) people that mean the world to me.

7 people like me!:

Anonymous said...

Trying to get back on track after the holidays is so hard. Hope you have a wonderful week with those little ones!

chelle said...

It is eerily quiet in my house this afternoon. I miss the chaos is some ways :)

I am glad you made a dent in your clutter and I hope it helps you free your mind :)

Athena's Armoury said...

It feels good to get organized and purge, doesn't it? As much as I love everything to have a home, for some reason, it's my workroom that's in a shambles. I have to work on that...

mayberry said...

The last time my daughter did a really thorough clean of her room (with help of course), she left herself little notes that said "dont be clouterd." so cute.

for a different kind of girl said...

My kids returned to school yesterday after their holiday break. Of course, they have an early out on Wednesday and no school on Monday, so really, it's almost like they're still here! They'll have to work around me a bit when they are here, because, since I barely work again until next week, my plan is to do some digging out around here. I can't take the mess everywhere! My husband and the kids have yet to learn I'd probably be a far, far nicer person if this stuff everywhere wasn't sucking my soul out! Today, after doing some writing (hopefully), is to tackle my youngest son's cave!

Holly said...

It's hard to get back into the swing of things after two weeks of holidays, isn't it? I need to do a toy purge here, big time.

Madeline said...

Sounds like you're on a roll with organizing. Wanna come over to my house? I've totally fallen behind. ;)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs