Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Deacon in the Night

In December I received a phone call from a church member asking me to consider serving as a Deacon for our church. In all honesty, I had no idea what a Deacon was or what they did so I had to have more information before giving my answer. I'm not huge into church, in fact we haven't attended services regularly in years and I honestly can't remember the last time we actually went.

 After learning more about my duties, I accepted the nomination. It's scary for me. I have to put myself out there in possibly uncomfortable situations but I've tried to do that every so often anyway...just to push myself a little.

I've been to two Deacon's meetings and have done little else so far, but my term extends until 2016, so I'm sure there is more work in the future.

Saturday afternoon the daughter of my C.A.R.E. member (each Deacon has at least one church member who can't come to church anymore to visit and befriend) called me to thank me for sending a card and a photo of my family. It was such a small thing for me to do, yet it was received so gratefully. I will meet my C.A.R.E. member on Wednesday evening. I expect she will teach me much about life.

0 people like me!:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs