Monday, August 6, 2012

Light Reading

Medical books in the hospital at Historic Fort Snelling.
I love to read. I know some people have little desire for it (my husband, my son, my brother) but I would be lost without books. I joined a book club about 3 years ago despite my anxiety before every meeting (still happens even after these years). I'm reading books I probably would never have picked up. For the most part, it has been great. There are always a few stinkers in the mix, but I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to books. Our book this month is Every Last One by Anna Quindlen. I liked the book, though it is also disturbing. Books don't affect me as deeply as movies for some reason. If this one was a movie I'd probably bawl my eyes out.

There are books that make me cry though. One of the first that I remember making me cry was You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye by Patricia Hermes. I remembered the book for YEARS after I read it and even bought an out-of-print copy as an adult from Amazon so I could re-read it. I cried as an adult too. It's not that it's outstanding writing, more the emotions the book evokes. I should dig out my copy and give it to my oldest...maybe she'd appreciate me more. ::nervous laugh::

M can pick up a book, read it for a while, and if it doesn't keep her interest abandon it with little problem. Once I start a book I almost always finish it. I can count on one hand the number of books I haven't finished. There are some I started that I still plan to go back and finish.

I have a large stack of books waiting for me to read and an even longer list of books I want to read. What books are you reading lately? What have you liked? What's your favorite book ever?

2 people like me!:

Jessica said...

I'm exactly the same with finishing books. Even if it's not that good, I almost always finish it. I can't even remember the last book I didn't finish. I have recently read some really good books, including the Night Circus, 11/22/63, the Spellman series by Lisa Lutz & Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult. Hope this helps you find something new & interesting to read. :)

Chelsea said...

I am the same way, have to finish the book no matter what! Even if I don't like it. The only book I can remember reading that made me cry was "The Time Travelers Wife". I shed a couple tears at the end. Other then crying while reading a book there has been a couple books that have made me sooo mad, one was "My Sisters Keeper" couple parts with the mom just made me really mad.

Good books I've read lately were; "The Host" By Stephanie Meyer (kind of slow going at first but then it gets better), "The Diplomat's Wife" By Pam Jenoff, "The Lucky One" By Nicholas Sparks, and "Cemetery Girl" By David Bell

Authors that I like are; Emily Giffin, Pam Jenoff, Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Sophie Kinsella, any adult books that Meg Cabot has written... Many more!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs