Monday, July 9, 2007

Two more (similar) recipes

The first one is just something that I've made up. It's nothing fancy, but I just think it's yummy and the kids have been known to eat at least some of it.

Since it's my own "recipe" I don't really have measurements, but you can make as much or as little as you want.

Rice and Veggies

Brown Minute Rice (make this in a seperate pot so you can have "clean" rice for seconds should your child ...like Miss M... request it.)

In an electric skillet I fry eggs (mix them up as they're cooking so they scramble), carrots (I use the bagged matchstick ones), frozen peas and zucchini (I recently discovered that if you shred it with a cheese grater you might sneak some into your children as it starts to blend in with the rice).

Once the veggies are cooked to desired consistency, mix some rice in and serve. It's good plain or with soy sauce.

This other recipe I adapted from one I found in a cookbook.

Garden Chicken Saute

2 tsp olive oil
frozen grilled chicken strips (use as much or little as you wish!) cut in 1-inch pieces
2 tsp jarred minced garlic
2 cups water
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 cup (or more!) carrots (I used the matchstick ones again)
2 pkgs. chicken-flavor Ramen noodle soup mix
grated zucchini (depends on the size of the zucchini...use as much or little as you like!)

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and garlic, cook and stir until chicken is browned.

2. Stir in water, Italian seasoning, carrots and seasoning packet from one of the soup mixes (Reserve other seasoning packet for other use or discard.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until carrots are crisp-tender.

3. Gently break each block of ramen noodles in half; add noodles and zucchini to skillet. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, 5-6 minutes or until zucchini is tender and noodles are cooked, separating noodles gently as they soften.

Nutrition info from the cookbook...I haven't changed the recipe much other than adding more veggies so I assume it's still pretty close...
Serving size: 1-1/4 cups
Calories: 320 (Calories from fat: 110)
Total fat: 12 g (Saturated: 5 g)
Cholesterol: 35 mg
Sodium (YIKES): 710 mg
Total carb: 33 g (Dietary fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 4 g)
Protein: 19 g

I keep looking for more "healthy" options for my family...anyone else have any recipes to share??

0 people like me!:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs