Thursday, September 9, 2010

A New Role, or, Why Yes I AM Crazy

Today was the first meeting of Miss M's Brownie Girl Scout troop. It went fairly well. I know because I was there. As a co-leader. I even made a little game and showed the girls how to make a game for themselves. I rocked the game. Seriously. It is a cute game.

We talked about feelings and body language and how great it is that our bodies can move in so many cool ways. We're working on two "Try-its" (they were called badges when I was in Girl Scouts...maaaaaany moons ago.) at the same time, over two meetings.

It's sort of fun, but also very trying. I brought D with me, and she did well most of the time, but did get restless as is expected of a toddler. K Man was supposed to play with the other leader's son, but apparently they weren't playing together so much as K Man watched her son play. So. Not sure how that part of the deal is going to work.

The girls are enthusiastic and fun. I've known most of them since they were in Kindergarten. Most of them went on the overnight trip with us which let me get to know them even more. So this year will be a new adventure and I'll really get to know these girls. That can only be a good thing when the preteen and teen years are looming ahead along with all the drama that entails. (Not that there is any lack of drama already. Sigh.)

I can guarantee that if you'd asked me a few months ago if I would be a Brownie troop co-leader I'd have said Hell-to-the-no. But, I guess that's what being a mom does to you. You agree to things you never thought you would because you love that little person.

2 people like me!:

Life As I Know It said...

"You agree to things you never thought you would because you love that little person"

ain't that the truth!

for a different kind of girl said...

Being a parent really forces us to branch out, doesn't it? so far, though, I've resisted the siren (sometimes desperate!) call of the PTO!

A few years ago, my oldest joined Boy Scouts, and when he and my husband came home from the initial meeting, my husband announced he was somehow transformed into the den's co-leader at that meeting. If you knew my husband, you'd know he doesn't like to bust out of his comfort zone, so that was one big stretch for him. Before it all ended, I seriously think he enjoyed it all more than our son did!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs