Friday, May 22, 2009

Happy Birthday to Ms. D!

It is bittersweet when your last baby suddenly is not so much a baby but on the cusp of toddlerhood. Even if said baby has been on the cusp of toddlerhood for months and teasing all of us with a few steps here and a few steps there it is hard on a mommy to see that little peanut of a girl standing up in the middle of the room holding two plastic lids and shrieking her indignation at something that you have no idea what but know that she feels strongly about it.

But here she is, my tiniest one-year-old...my last one-year-old. Her party is tomorrow so today will be mostly a normal day for her. A normal day that is an extraordinary day. Ms. D is having a birthday. The first of many, many, many birthdays I hope to celebrate with her. The first of many, many, many more that I hope her siblings will celebrate with her.

This year I have learned about this little spirited child, my third and last baby who is tiny in package but large in life. She fills my heart and makes me smile. She wants for me nearly constantly, which I love most of the time. Any time someone needs you that much it can be tiresome, but the tiresome moments have been fleeting and few.

Tonight I will write Ms. D a birthday letter, as I have for her siblings each birthday they have passed. It will be another love letter, much like those written for her siblings. It will be between her and I, remaining sealed until some point in the future that I have not yet decided. If at that point she chooses to share our love story with others, that will be her choice. It is my hope that she will find some comfort, some understanding of her mother, some realization of how miraculous and wonderful she is as she reads the words her mother wrote long ago.

It's not much, but it is the best thing I could think of to give my children on their birthdays.

This first year with Ms. D has been trying and wonderful and tiring and the best year ever. Our family feels complete and I feel lucky to have these two beautiful and smart (make no mistake, these girls are S-M-A-R-T) girls and this handsome and inquisitive and yes, intelligent son.

How lucky are we to have each other?

Ms. D's tiny frame makes it easy to carry her around with me as she likes. It is easy for me to forget how old she really is though, until she suddenly chastises me in not-quite-words-but-you-know-what-the-H-she-means. There is a lot of personality packed into that small body.

This second year of her life? I can tell it's going to be goooooood.

Love you Baby D! Happy Birthday!

14 people like me!:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Love you! Amma

for a different kind of girl said...

She's precious! Hope she enjoys her first birthday party!

Madeline said...

Awww!! Happy 1st Birthday!!!!

Chelsea said...

Happy Birthday D!

Don Mills Diva said...

I can't believe it's been a year - happy birthday to your sweet girl!

mayberry said...

She is so sweet but you can see that she has a feisty personality too! Happy birthday little girl!

Awesome Mom said...

Happy Birthday D! I love the expressions on her face in the pictures.

chelle said...

Many birthday wishes to your sweet little girl!

great auntie sue said...

Happy Birthday, little big girl!

Damselfly said...

Aw! So wonderful. I can't believe a year has gone by. It will be fun to see her grow in that dress next to the tree just as you did with M. Many blessings....

Jules said...

Love this post. It makes me look at my two and sigh. It is a gorgeous life, thanks for your reminder. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY D!

louann said...

Happy happy birthday Ms. D!!!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. D. My youngest just turned one today. I'm sad but at least I know I'll be having another one. I miss the baby stage already

Heather said...

I asked Miss M if she wanted me to use the same outfit or a different outfit with Ms. D. She said we should use the same...so there she is.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs