Tuesday, December 2, 2008

One Step Back

I have come to the conclusion that Baby D has a mild food allergy to the rice cereal that she's tried this week.

I first noticed some redness in her diaper area last Monday morning (the day after she had her first taste of cereal). I didn't think much about it but did think "wow, she's getting her first diaper rash." Yes. She's 6 months old and had never had a diaper rash. This is notable since my other two had it off and on from about 2 months through 18 months or so.

Anyway, Monday was tree set-up day for the Festival of Trees, so I didn't have time to give her cereal and I just skipped it. Tuesday I tried to give her cereal and she didn't eat much of it. She nursed and took a nap, then ate the rest of the cereal. Same story on Wednesday.

Thanksgiving day I brought the cereal with us to Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunt and Uncle's house. D ate it up and wanted more but I didn't have any more to give her.

I noticed her girlie parts and rear end were getting redder instead of better despite the fact that I'd been applying Boudreaux's Butt Paste and changing her immediately when she pooped (which I try to do anyway, obviously).

However, I'm slow and didn't connect the cereal to the diaper rash. She's also been fussier than normal (which normally isn't that fussy) and she's had a runny nose. I bet it's all connected to the cereal.

So, my plan, after conferring with my followers on Twitter, is to discontinue the rice cereal and nurse exclusively until D's butt and girlie parts heal. Then I'm going to try oatmeal cereal and see if she tolerates that better. If she breaks out again, then we'll re-assess.

Poor little peanut.

*************************

I have a PBN review of Eebies Adventures over at the Zoo Review today. Come on by!

6 people like me!:

Awesome Mom said...

Poor girl, I hope that she eventually outgrows the sensitivity.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Hope she's ok! I know all about food allergies!

Steph

Kate said...

Aww, that's got to be what it is. Mu kids never got many of them but I feel so bad for them when they have a diaper rash. Great conclusion, though.. sounds like you are right about the allergy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, be careful, you don't even want to mention the word "peanut" when you're concerned about food allergies. ;-)

Alex Elliot said...

Sorry to hear that. What did your pediatrician say? I remember with OS when I was concerned over Barley cereal I was told to wait a month before reintroducing it. He did fine.

louann said...

Poor little one. But at least you got to rule out what was causing the discomfort and fussiness.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs