Monday, December 1, 2008

Benefits

I did not plan to have nearly four years separate my two youngest children. Craig and I had planned to have our third child in the 2-year age span like with the first two kids.

The 2-year age gap was not to be with the third child, and as the months ticked by that I wasn't pregnant so the age gap crept ever greater.

I'd hoped that K and our third child would be close in age like M and K partly because M and K can often play the same games and do the same things. Their interests often are similar and their ages often allow them to be in the same activities. Like right now, they are in the cherub choir at church together. Next year, M will move to the next choir but they have this year together.

So when I finally got pregnant with Ms. D, I admit I worried a bit about the age gap. I'm sure that ages 2-3 will be a challenge because she'll want to do what her older siblings are doing but she just won't be old enough or big enough.

But I hadn't realized the real benefit of having older children when you have a new baby in the house. Miss M has been especially helpful with the baby, from singing to her in the car when she starts to cry to entertaining her while I'm in the shower, to getting D's toys for her to play with.

This weekend Miss M really showed how helpful she is and how much she loves her little sister. She changed D's diaper and got her dressed with only minimal help from me.




How cool is that?

12 people like me!:

Anonymous said...

Good job, M! Amma

Anonymous said...

Way Cool, M.!!! KaB

Mayberry said...

That's great! Just this a.m. I was talking to my (3 yr old) son about whether he could change diapers. He thought he could handle wet ones!

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! I wanted my kids closer together too, yet here we are with a three year gap ... Life gives us what we can handle I suppose :)

Awesome Mom said...

We are in a similar boat. I thought I would have my kids all close in age, but it was not to be. Truthfully I am rather thankful for that gap as I really think my body needed the rest.

ewe are here said...

What a lovely girl!

for a different kind of girl said...

That's so sweet, and those pictures are great. She'll definitely be someone Ms. D turns to as she is growing up.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I know JUST what you mean! All my kids' age differences have just worked out perfectly!

Steph

Anonymous said...

The pictures are really cute! Its cool that M is willing to help out!

Kirsetin Morello said...

Very cool--I love it when life works out despite our efforts otherwise. :) And I love your new header-make me want to go out and get that tree!

louann said...

What a sweet Big sister!

I'm with you on your opinion about having a small age gap but also on the having a bigger age gap. My eldest is 4 1/2 years older than my second and sometimes their interests don't really jive BUT I can always depend on the big guy to help out with his younger brother =)

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Looks like Ms. M's Christmas present is going to be easy... 2 front teeth!

And yes, I'm quite sure I'm not the first one to make that dumb joke.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs