Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Weep the Vote

Election days make me tingle. There. I said it. They make me tingle not in a sexual way but in a way that is electric. The excitement, the promise of change, the unknown that will be known before the end of the day, this is what drives that tingle.

I am not a political person. I believe what I believe. I support whom I support.

I will not attempt to sway you from your candidate of choice, nor will I wear my choice on my sleeve. If you are close to me, very close, you may know whom I am leaning toward voting for, but sometimes my decision changes in the last moments.

Election day is seductive. I complain about the coverage of the results rolling in, yet I cannot go to bed before the winner is determined.

Even the process of going to vote is charged with emotion for me. In the past, I have found myself behind the drape connecting the arrows to the candidates I choose with tears in my eyes. It is akin to me watching my children on the carousel. I am so happy, so filled with joy that my emotions overcome me.

Today, I will go to the fire station that is my polling place and cast my votes for the men and/or women that I choose. I will take my son and one of my daughters with me. The baby is too young to know the momentousness of the day, the significance of the lines that I am drawing. My son probably is too, but he will ask me what we are doing there, why I am going out of our way to this strange place to duck behind a curtain and color.

I will tell him through teary eyes that I am trying to make a change.

8 people like me!:

Mayberry said...

Tingling is really a good word for it, actually!

for a different kind of girl said...

Beautiful!

This is why I really made a point of taking my boys with me to vote this year. This year they're old enough to really understand, well, on their level, what we're doing and how we're making a change. I don't think they got tingly, but I definitely did!

Happy voting!

for a different kind of girl said...

Beautiful!

This is why I really made a point of taking my boys with me to vote this year. This year they're old enough to really understand, well, on their level, what we're doing and how we're making a change. I don't think they got tingly, but I definitely did!

Happy voting!

Don Mills Diva said...

I don't even live in the US and I have been on pins and needles all day - there is such a sense of history connected to this election!

Anonymous said...

My little one was too pissed this am for a trip to the polling center. She was with me in spirit. It is for her that I cast my vote.

Anonymous said...

I took my kids, too. I love leading by example instead of being all talk. Hope your tingle leads to our good things!

Damselfly said...

Excellent!

I had such a wait this year that I am tempted to try absentee balloting, but I want my son to see what I'm doing. I have always taken him with me to vote, from the time he was two months old. I think it's important.

wayabetty said...

Well, my candidate didn't win but it's still a historical moment for this glorious country!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs