Thursday, March 27, 2008

Same Stuff, Different Night (or early morning)

I had trouble sleeping last night. My body is tired, but my mind doesn't want to sleep. Most nights, I lay in bed, reading until my eyes get heavy. Last night, as I checked the clock periodically, watching the hours ticking away without mercy, it was nearly 2 a.m. when I finally closed the book and started to slide into a slumber.

Mommy?

It was M, standing beside the bed. I throwed up all over the side of my bed.

She'd made an attempt to get to the bathroom, but her stomach wouldn't wait. Every layer of the bedding was hit, down to the mattress cover. There were chunks to clean up before the sheets were stripped. (you're welcome)

The smell. Not so pleasant.

It's in the job description though. You must clean up stomach contents from various surfaces without hurling yourself. The weird thing about being a mom though, for me, is that I have an easier time dealing with cleaning up my kids' sick than my own.

That's love, huh?

With clean sheets on the bed and M tucked back in with a bucket this time, I attempted to recreate that near-slumber state that I was in just a half-hour earlier when I heard her retching again.

You okay?

Yes Mommy, but I don't want to be alone in here.

I got a sheet and some towels to lay down on her bed/couch to protect it and the floor from errant vomit and settled her on the floor in our bedroom. This allowed me to awaken every hour as she retched more.

Let's just say it wasn't a restful night.

And K was up early as usual in spite of the attempt to block out the sun with a blanket over the window. I think we'll be watching a lot of movies today.

7 people like me!:

Sornie said...

Eww. Middle of the night vomit. I hope hot dogs weren't on the supper menu.

Angi said...

noooo!
I hope she gets better super quick & that you get some sleep tonight...

Beck said...

Geez, that's rough. I hope she's feeling better tonight and that you get to sleep in your own, vomit-free bed.

Sandy said...

Wow. That stinks! Literally and figuratively.

We had that bug a couple of weeks ago, and it was not a fun week.

Alex Elliot said...

That's the worst! I hope she has a speedy recovery.

motherbumper said...

Oh that's rough. We have been on a sick cycle for so long in these parts, that I can't remember what being well and not being nurse maid feels like.

Anonymous said...

eeeww I don't do puke well. Like at all. I start to gag and the room starts to spin .... oh geez I feeling woozy just thinking about it ... yup it will be all up to my husband I will not be able to do it.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs