Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's a... It's a ...

Well, we went for ultrasound #2 for this little Munchkin this morning. The last time, baby didn't cooperate so the tech was unable to get all the measurements they wanted. Baby also had legs tightly crossed. Not that we were going to look anyway, but had we wanted to see what kind of junk was between the legs, we would not have been privy to that information.

This time, well, not much better. We may need to return for a third ultrasound because baby would NOT shift into a position that allowed the tech (and subsequently the doctor who was summoned to the room) to check all four chambers of the heart. We are not worried (we, meaning the doctor, the tech and I) that there is anything wrong with the 2 unseen chambers but they could not confirm that they are fine. Apparently they really like to confirm that. They both thought that they caught glimpses of the other 2 chambers and thought they looked fine, but couldn't get a picture of it.

No amount of prodding or jiggling would convince the babe to change position. The Munchkin is stubborn. I tried to tell Craig that our kids get that stubbornness from him and got the response of "yeah, right." So I might be a bit stubborn. Who knew that was hereditary?

We did get a look at the lip, which we couldn't last time. It looks fine (no cleft lip or palette), which is good since I had a bad dream that baby had a cleft palette and was unable to eat. (Oh the lovely dreams of pregnancy.)

The tech measured the femur and commented on how long baby's legs are. My first thought was: "well, it must be a girl since K is Mr. Stubby Legs." I am 21 weeks pregnant, but the femur measured at about 24 weeks gestation. So, long legs.

So there we were, in the vicinity of the "junk."

And what did we find?

A foot.

Firmly planted between the legs. Right at the "sweet spot."

Naturally.

The tech asked us if we wanted her to give us her educated guess. She'd tell us what she thought based on what she could see, but she wasn't confident that her guess would be correct when baby emerges.

We told her to go for it. (My guess is that my regular physician will roll in the portable ultrasound machine and take another crack at looking at my next appointment anyway. We'll see if the two concur.)

So, her best guess is...

A girl.

She said it looks like a girl, but the foot could be hiding another appendage. Baby wouldn't move that darn foot out of the way so they could get a good look (yep, the doctor tried to look too).

So if this is accurate, then M and K have been right all along, and I will have been right for the first time out of the three pregnancies. And most of you guessers would be WRONG.

We'll see I guess.

11 people like me!:

Angi said...

What is with that cleft dream? I had it too, and that was one of the major things I needed to see during the ultrasound. I'll never forget seeing Ava's little mouth open & close perfectly, like she knew I needed to see it. Amazing...

Hopefully your little one will cooperate soon too :)

Anonymous said...

a girl!! how exciting. m (andk)will love a little sister! hope that during your next visit she will move-must be those long legs that make it hard for her to flip.
sumedha

Anonymous said...

Oooo so exciting. We could not see all the chambers of E's heart either and had to go back.

Too cute that the little one is shy :)

Sandy said...

Yeah, but I bet she'll weigh close to my prediction, right?

:)

Magpie said...

well, um, congratulations, even though you didn't get all of your answers!

Anonymous said...

I don't have good "gender-dar" either. I didn't have a reliable hunch when I was pregnant with Smooch, and I've never been able to guess for my friends either.

Well, congratulations either way!

soccer mom in denial said...

Like I've said before when I told the boys I was pregnant (I was 10 weeks along) they both loudly pronounced that there was a girl in me.

As you know, they were right! Kids know. They just know.

Alex Elliot said...

We weren't sure when we had the first big ultrasound with my older son either since he had his hand "there". Then we figured that that in itself meant that he was a boy!

LBA said...

They say girls are more modest in Ultrasounds, whereas boys are more proud to hang it out there for all to see.

So i'm also thinking a girl :)

Damselfly said...

Whatever s/he is, that is one lucky baby!

wayabetty said...

I'm so excited for you Heather!!! I'm hoping for a healthy girl for you, every mom needs to have lots of girls to be around when they grow up.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs