Friday, August 10, 2007

Open letter to the 3 people in front of me on the on ramp (aka the acceleration lane) on the highway today

Dear morons,

That pedal below your right foot is called an accelerator. In order to merge with highway traffic you really need to put at least a little weight upon the pedal. This causes your car to speed up to highway speed. The highway you were attempting to use has a 60 mph speed limit. In most cases, people using this highway are driving at least 60 mph.

It is most difficult for us motorists accustomed to using the acceleration lane for its intended purpose to be behind someone who cruises down the on-ramp at a steady 40 mph. Please do not look at me that way when I veer around you at the soonest possible opportunity. I would rather not cause an accident when I'm merging into 60+ mph traffic.

While we're talking about highway etiquette, please use the deceleration lane for its intended purpose. I understand in the winter when roads may be icy that you need longer to slow down before you turn, but honestly, summertime in Minnesota...really no need to stop on the highway.

Speaking of turning, what is the deal with you people that veer out to the left before you make a right turn? You're not driving a semi-truck and trailer.

But, I digress, I was writing to you 3 today who were on the on-ramp and approached the highway at 40 mph. Steadily. The length of the ramp.

Just a hint for the future, 90-degree heat does not make a charitable Minnesotan. I spent most of the day in the sticky-hot weather selling my cast-offs and some things that I'd like to keep but know I shouldn't at my garage sale, to the point that I had a heat rash on my chest tonight. Step on the accelerator on the on-ramp. PLEASE. (Maybe there is still the charitable Minnesotan there in the heat.)

I suggest a steady pressure upon the accelerator when you are trying to enter a highway. Let off on the pressure when you reach 60 or so.

It works best that way, I promise you.

4 people like me!:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Yeah, what IS up with those people who veer to the left before making a right turn?! That drives me nuts too and makes me want to follow them to where they're going and slap them when they get out of the car.

Is it ok to do that?

Heather said...

Jeff, I don't know if that's okay or not. Why don't you give it a try and let me know how it goes?

S said...

Amen. You're preaching to the choir!

Heather said...

I keep coming up with more and more things that bug me about other people's driving. It's a good thing that my driving is perfect!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs