Tuesday, June 6, 2006

No! It can't have happened!

I was awoken this morning to M, standing at my bedside with a wide grin on her face. "See?" she says, motioning to her hair. I can't see much, as I've just been woken up and I don't have my glasses on. Then she says those terrible words. Shudders overcome me as I type them. "I cut my hair!" she says happily. "I hope not!" I say, and actually hold out some hope that she hasn't.

You see, I love her long hair. I had long hair as a girl, but hers is so much prettier than mine ever was. It curls on the ends, naturally. Her Grammy loves how it blows in the wind when we're on the pontoon. My Mom loves her in 2 piggy tails.

I couldn't really look at her. I left the room to look for evidence that this atrocity had actually occurred. Bathroom...nothing. Kitchen...nothing. Then I notice the Dustbuster sitting innocently on the steps. And some cut up string on the kitchen counter.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I open the Dustbuster. There is the evidence, which I carefully remove and place into an envelope (after taking a photo). I carefully labeled the envelope "6-6-06" thinking "curses to this day" (and also thinking "I hope this is the worst that happens"). As a friend of mine commented, "At least she was neat about it, and cleaned up." Ha.

She didn’t cut it all off, just about 2 inches along the side, 6 inches worth. I asked her why she did it and she told me she wanted to be like Mulan. I told her Mulan is a cartoon (don’t tell her she’s real, please!) and asked if M was a cartoon. “No.” Told her Mulan wanted to be a boy. "Do you want to be a boy?" "No." “Who cuts hair?” “Mommy.” So we have a new rule. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow. She is supposed to stay in her room in the morning. No going downstairs. She can leave the room to go potty, but must go back in her room, or come in to snuggles with Mommy. But NO GOING DOWNSTAIRS. She just gets herself in trouble. And I don't want any more hair cuts. The scissors are now well out of reach...I hope.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go mourn my daughter’s beautiful hair. Snif Snif. This is not good for a crybaby like me.

4 people like me!:

Amy said...

Oh no!

The good thing about hair is that it grows back. I know, I went completely bald from alopecia areata in 2004.

What gorgeous blond hair! :) It is still long enough for pigtails.

Amy said...

ps - I blogrolled you! :)

Heather said...

Yes, I know, it's only hair. But my vanity goes more toward the looks of my kids. I don't pay attention to what I look like much, but my kids...well that's different. So I'm a weirdo. But you probably figured that out already.

I couldn't imagine having alopecia. That must have been hard.

Thanks for the blogroll.

Liz Miller said...

It grows back and she left it long enough to still do pretty things with it.

And yet.....yipes!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs