Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mediocre At Best

I entered some photos in the county fair. I entered the Advanced category because it said it was for people who have made money from photography. I haven't made much yet, but I have been paid for my work and I know I will continue to build clients.

The fair thing is new to me. I had brain farts trying to recall how the fair entries looked. The book was minimal help. I googled other fair entries and hoped for the best. Sunday, I took my 4 entries to the 4H building and was schooled in photography entry into the fair. It was mostly painless but I still felt like an idiot. Next year will be better. I think.

So my photos were submitted. I did the best I could with my limited fair knowledge. WTH are hangers with holes? I thought I had it figured out and got there and was told to use ugly clips to hang my photos. Probably a part of the discount on presentation. :(

I went last night to see the results of the judging. I won ribbons for all 4 of my photos I submitted. Sounds impressive until you learn that there were only 2 or 3 photos entered in 3 of the 4 categories I entered. So really, it's kind of sad. I was last place in 2 of 4, I think. It's hard to judge how good or bad you are when there is really no competition. I will submit again next year and will know more about what I need to do; more about what I should submit.

I had a decent showing my first year. Next year? Watch out!

1 people like me!:

Chelsea said...

I thought you did great, and it's still cool you got ribbons. I'm still trying to figure out too what I could of done differently. Oh well, there is next year!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs