Monday, September 20, 2010

No News is Writer's Block Gary Gnu

Lately, I sit at my laptop and stare at a blank screen, often for up to an hour before finally closing the screen, resigned to another day without writing. For me, I can only write when I've been reading and reading regularly. It's been a few weeks since I've read with any sort of regularity, instead getting sucked into stupid online games or games on my iPad. Granted, some of the games are Boggle and Scrabble and Words With Friends, so they at least have a few redeeming qualities in that they make me use this puddle of mush that used to be a brain. But I admit most of the games are those mindless games like Farmville and Cafe World. So I'm taking a step back from the games. I'm not ready to delete them entirely, but I am limiting the time I waste on these. I planted no crops on my farm tonight.

This will be liberating I'm sure.

I've thought about doing a similar de-tox with my kids and television. Does anyone remember when they had the "TV Turn-Off Week?" I'm thinking I might have to tell the kids that there still is such a thing and just do it. It would be good for all of us. We would have to find other things to do! We might actually do all the things we always SAY we want to do but never seem to have "time" for.

But that's a little tangent that was not at all what I was trying to write about. I was trying to write about not writing. Before I started blogging (more than 4 years ago...wow!) I wrote in a journal. My writing there was spotty at best as well. Life got in the way of writing. Being a first-time mom was not conducive to writing. It was exhausting and, in hindsight, a little depressing, but also exciting. On a related note, being a new mom is not conducive to reading either, which, as I said before, for me is related to writing. If I don't read what others have written, I'm not inspired.

So I force myself to write, here, about not writing. It happens every year, at least twice, that I write about not writing. It's similar to my "every 3-4 years fall down the stairs" which, incidentally, I did on Friday night. (FYI, not so fun to have a big bruise on your right butt cheek.)

It's nice that I'm predictable.

To be inspired as a writer I also need to do. Just do. And it's not that I've been sitting at home doing nothing for weeks, but I haven't done anything I haven't done a million times before so I suppose that is the problem. However, the calendar is filling up, as it tends to do after a small lull (if we're lucky) so adventures (or misadventures...because we all know those make the best stories) await.

I hope.

****
P.S. Anyone know the reference in the title?

4 people like me!:

Life As I Know It said...

I remember that show! Roller Coaster or Space Coaster or something?!?

I often find I am blocked, and usually what helps is either taking a break from the computer (like a long break) or sitting down and forcing myself to write. The words usually start out jumbled and awkward, but slowly start to resemble something okay.
Frustrating, isn't it?

mayberry said...

This actually is Turnoff Week (see top of page http://familyfitness.about.com), so you are right on top of things! Good luck with the writer's block. I have fewer ideas lately and less time to pursue them--I totally relate.

Madeline said...

Those facebook games are insanely addictive. I had to quit them cold turkey a while back. I don't regret it at all.

Holly said...

No gnus is good gnus with Gary Gnu! So funny!

Also, it's funny that lately I've come to the same idea: I need to limit the amount of time I spend online. I had to break my new rule tonight, just a little, so I could catch up on a little blog reading and e-mail. Man, the e-mail just piles up! Then I feel guilty.

Also, I think there is a TV Turn-Off Week. Might even be this week (when the fall TV lineup starts). I've also heard it called Digital Detox Week (where you take a break from handheld games and everything.)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs