Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Gifting for Christmas

There have been a few Christmases that I have been excited about the gifts I've bought or made for my family. I put a lot of thought into the gifts I give because I feel so great finding something that I really think the recipient will really like. Some years this is an easier feat than others.

One of the first gifts I gave that I was proud to give was something I gave to my brother when I was still a teenager. My brother has always been a big Cowboys fan, so that year I bought my brother an Emmitt Smith rookie card. That year, I went to the local record (ha ha!) store and pored over the available cards for sale. I settled on one that was sealed in a protective case. In retrospect, I probably paid too much for it, but I was excited to give it to my brother. I wrapped it in special wrapping paper and waited for the big day to give it to him. He was appropriately pleased...or at least acted like it, which was all that I needed.

The first year I made scrapbooks for my family I was very excited to give them as well. We'd gone "up north" on vacation for the first time together and I made scrapbooks remembering the fun we'd had.

There have been other gifts that I've thought were "just right" for the person I was planning to give...a smoker, personalized jewelry, a cute bag. But even those years that I find something I'm happy to give there is a lot of panic involved along with a healthy dose of driving around and visiting stores aimlessly. Sometimes the perfect gift exists, but it costs way too much.

I would be perfectly happy if I received no gifts. For me, the magic of Christmas is finding presents that others will enjoy.

5 people like me!:

Ashlie- Mommycosm said...

Helping your complex;)

I like the giving part much better, too. The rush of finding THAT perfect gift for someone. Love it.

for a different kind of girl said...

I enjoy the hunt for the perfect gift, too, and always hope that my kids are joyous and gleeful when they open their gifts, but, oh, there's a small part of my heart that still hopes for a little well thought out token under the tree for me, too!

A Vapid Blonde said...

I love giving the perfect gift too, and wrapping it up in a way that says this is the gift you have been waiting for! I usally end up wrapping presents until four in the morning and then getting sick with a flu or something...but it's always worth it.

Madeline said...

The giving really is so much more beautiful than the getting. Lovely post.

chelle said...

I love making, finding, experiencing the perfect gifts for others. This year I am totally bummed that I did not have more time for it. I so need to learn to allot more time for it.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs