Friday, June 26, 2009

Watching Planes

We were turning down our home street after swimming lessons when I asked them.

Do you want to go watch the planes?

We live very near a not-so-busy, but busy enough, airport and in previous years we have tried to watch the planes. We’re often unsuccessful with our timing. We’ll see a small Cessna or two take off or land but no larger airlines.

The kids thought for a moment before answering my question then gave a resounding “yes!” I had to actually turn around since we were already headed for our house.

We took note of the black clouds looming in the distance, my kids not the big fan of thunderstorms as I am, but forged ahead with our plan.

We’ll just stay a little bit and leave before the storm comes. I told them.

The swimming lesson must have tired them into compliance because they were still game and still seemed to believe me. These times are less frequent these days.

As we approached the aircraft observation area, I noticed there were people there already. This is unusual. Every time we have ever gone to watch the planes we have been the only observers. Perhaps other people have better timing than I.

I parked the car and the kids begged to get out and go to the fence like the people here before us. I hadn’t planned on this scenario, but as the saying goes “the fewer the nos the better the day goes.” There was no real reason to deny the request other than my laziness, which wasn’t a good reason at all.

With their usual youthful, trusting, exuberance my older two children have engaged the two adults already at the fence (who have a small toddler with them) in conversation long before I have the baby out of her seat and have walked the 20 feet to the fence to join them.

The couple is sweet. They are visiting from Australia, waiting to see the plane carrying their friend and fellow Australian Kylie on a trip to Chicago. It’s a glimpse into other lives, a little like Reality TV, but without the dirt. Here I can imagine only great friends and good times. Suddenly we have a stake in the takeoff of this plane waiting at the gate nearby.

When we arrive, the air is still. Moments later, the wind picks up, sudden and strong. The baby kicks and laughs at the novelty. Sand and pebbles kiss our legs. K’s hair, wet from swimming, is dry in minutes. M’s bangs, dry as well, whip wildly in the wind.

Wow! I say to our new friends, that came up suddenly!

They nod and smile their agreement, not because they are shy, but because it is hard to hear anyway. Better to use signs rather than shout at one another.

The male of the couple goes to check when the plane is going to leave. It’s scheduled for 3:50, but the impending storm has prompted airline officials to try to expedite the take-off. It’s 3:30 by my phone’s clock.

We see a Cessna take off. We see a small commuter land. As the pilot throws on the reverse thrusters I ask my kids why they think that happened. They don’t care, but I tell them anyway. I’ve learned as a parent that kids often learn even when you think they’re not listening.

The Baby continues to throw her head back, giggle and smile in the extreme wind. This is new to her, and she likes the feeling of wind in her hair.

The excitement builds as the airplane’s engine is fired. M and the woman decide to compete to see who will see the plane move first. M wins and she is giddy.

As the plane taxis out, I explain it will go down to the south end of the runway and take off nearly in front of us, heading North, into the wind. I am thankful the kids don’t ask why the plane needs to take off into the wind. I’m not up for a discussion of the properties of lift in air travel.

The man returns just as the plane reaches the end of the runway and his companion is grateful. Suddenly the plane is rolling again and a moment later is airborne. We all wave as the plane passes before us. Bye! We yell and wave. Bu-bye, even the Baby is waving happily in her adorable backwards sort-of waving at herself way.

The plane climbs and begins its eastward turn.

Bye Kylie! Have a great trip!

I tell the kids to keep watching as the plane will soon climb above the clouds and disappear, and soon it does just that. And so we seven are left in the wind, watching the sky that no longer holds anything but clouds. The thing that brought us together gone, we part ways to return to our own lives.

7 people like me!:

Unknown said...

Nice job capturing the moment. Your writing muse seems to have returned :-)

Anonymous said...

Always fun for the kids! Amma

Twenty Four At Heart said...

I've always loved the wind! Well, except here in Southern California we get THE WINDS (Santa Anas) and those are a bit much ... although I even loved those as a child. Aren't you glad you turned around and got to watch the plane? Sometimes those little moments are the most special ones.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely post

Madeline said...

I love those moments when lives collide for small reasons. And, how fabulous that you have an observation deck!!! Our airport used to have one, but they got rid of it.

Life As I Know It said...

aw, so nice.
my kids love watching planes take off and land too.

chelle said...

So love when you write like this, it sweeps me away into your moment. I needed that...thanks!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs