Monday, June 22, 2009

Aching

Miss M has been having stomach aches. They started just before we scheduled her tonsillectomy, and I blamed them on the ibuprofen they told us to give her to try to reduce the size of her tonsils. I stopped giving her the ibuprofen but the aches didn't resolve. We talked and it came out that she was being bothered by another girl at school. Her teacher handled the situation and the stomach aches vanished for a while.

They have returned a few more times, seemingly randomly, and have disappeared again.

Last week they started again. Every day.

These aren't just oh Mom I have a stomachache kind of aches. No, they are holding the stomach, moaning, screaming, crying kind of aches. She thinks she is going to throw up, but she doesn't. Sometimes she needs to go potty, but it doesn't seem to help the ache.

Last Friday I took her in to see the doctor to rule out any medical cause for this pain. I think it is largely psychosomatic, but I needed to be sure. We are keeping a diary of abdominal pain, times, duration, circumstances, etc. But so far it is the opinion of the doctor that it is anxiety related.

I am keeping the diary, but I am also starting to work with her to try to relieve these anxieties. I know 1st and 2nd grade seem to be highly stressful for kids for some reason or another and I want to start developing better coping techniques with her. Yesterday I gave her a notebook to journal in when she's upset or has something she'd like to talk about. She seems excited to try it.

We'll try to avoid even the joking things that could make her worry. We'll give her Tylenol when the aches hit. We'll encourage her to talk and to write.

We'll hope that this new growing pain goes away soon.

12 people like me!:

S said...

oh, yuck. :( is she still in school? do they show up when she has to go to school in the morning?

Heather said...

She finished school on June 11th, but she did have stomach aches before school, off and on. I asked her if she was worried about 2nd grade and she said she was. She's sad to leave her 1st grade teacher.

Thanks for the comment! :)

for a different kind of girl said...

I know how sad and frustrating it is to see your child hurting or in pain and not be able to put your thumb on just what the problem may be. I very much hope the journaling experience helps for all of you, and that she finds the transition into second grade to be less stressful.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Oh, that's so sad. Nothing worse than when your babies are hurting.

Amy said...

That was me, in a nutshell. I used to get belly aches like that all the time, still do. Anxiety.

I wish I could offer some advice, but all I have is this -- the pain is real.

Ashley said...

This sounds similar to something I had as a child. I had similar stomach pains for three years and was diagnosed with everything from anxiety to adult colic. It turns out that it was appendicitis -- for three years! I had no specific appendicitis symptoms, just the on-going stomach trouble.

I hope she's okay -- and that you're okay. My stomach hurts just thinking about it.

Unknown said...

oh Heather, this makes me sad for her. I hope writing in the journal works for the sanity of all of you and to get rid of her stomach aches!

Madeline said...

Oh, how sad for her and for y'all. I so hope she feels better soon. Anxiety is such a difficult issue.

Bourbon Beauty said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I had to deal with the whole tummy aches thing in school because girls were picking on me, one girl in particular. I missed so much school, I almost didn't make it to the next grade. My parents took me to all kinds of dr.'s to see what was wrong, nothing ever showed up. I personally believe it was the stress and how I carried it. To this day as an adult, when I have stress going on, my stomach aches. I think it would have been better had my parents sat down with me, and helped me solve the issues with the bully at school. I hope she feels better. Lots of positive thoughts!!

Kate said...

Oh that's tough. There's nothing worse than seeing your kid in pain from another kid. I can empathize. Sounds like you're doing all the right things to work through the anxiety though. I'm sure it will get better soon.

chelle said...

aww not fun. Sounds like you are empowering her the best you can. So hard to grow up eh?

Kirsetin Morello said...

Hey, Heather. I have two friends whose kids had stomachaches - and some other symptoms - and they turned out to need a gluten-free diet. I was a little skeptical at first, but it's worked out for both of them. Might be something to tuck in the back of your mind if it turns out not to be anxiety.

Hugs to both of you!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs