Monday, December 22, 2008

7 Months

The baby has hit that switch again, her internal development button that makes her seem older in the blink of an eye. She is scooting everywhere. It’s not quite effortless motion yet; she scrunches her body up on her knees and pushes up with her hands, then suddenly lunges forward excitedly to reach whatever object was just slightly out of reach. Or, she pushes up with her hands and her toes in a baby downward-facing dog before teetering off balance and flipping to her back, all the while grinning widely.

She’s a contented baby, easily entertaining herself on the floor for an hour at a time before suddenly realizing she’s hungry or needs a diaper change and alerting me to her change of status with a quiet whimper or a low cry.

Her discomfort and subsequent distress when she has soiled her diaper gives me hope that I may finally have a child who toilet trains sooner rather than later.

She is nearly always in a pleasant mood. Her cries are few and generally easily quieted to bring a smile back to her face. In most cases, a simple smile directed at her will earn a return smile.

When it comes to eating, however, things are not going as smoothly. She is sensitive to something in the rice cereal and thus far has rejected the oatmeal completely. I’m not very worried about it yet, as she is 7 months old and I know that her nursing is still her primary nutrition. She may be one of those babies who just rejects the baby food altogether and will move right to the “real” stuff. I will probably try to mix a fruit or veggie with the cereal in the next week or so and see if she’s more interested.

She absolutely adores her older siblings. The moment she sees them she smiles and giggles. She does not laugh as easily for anyone else. Of course, M and K bask in the spotlight of her adoring attention to all that they do. When D starts walking, it won’t be long that she’ll be running to keep up with her sister and brother. This is both distressing and beautiful for me.

She is still petite, probably barely 15 pounds if even that. Her size makes it easy for me to forget that she is now 7 months old. But then I see her personality emerging more each day and see glimpses of who D is, who she will become. The journey is still just beginning, but it’s on warp speed.

16 people like me!:

Anonymous said...

Oh Miss D- You are a cutie!! Amma

Beck said...

Look at that FACE! So cute!
And she is totally doing The Plank pose in that top picture - baby yoga!

Mayberry said...

She is just darling! Helps me get excited about our little #3...

soccer mom in denial said...

What BEAUTIFUL photos! Of course, that babe is just stunning. You sure make them gorgeous.

I am always amazed at how mellow the third ones are. Like they know they are the "go with the flow" kids.

Or maybe the parents are just better at it!

Anonymous said...

Lordy, she is so cute. I could eat her up.

All my babies pretty much skipped baby foods and went straight to table food. It's my theory that this is why I don't have a picky eater. Hopefully, it's the same blessing in disguise for you.

Anonymous said...

She is quite the character! As always very cute picutures!

Kate said...

LOL... love the push up picture! She is really cute. My kids were both bruisers and really heavy babies. Your portrait pictures are really great.

Binky said...

Oh, the cuteness! The downward dog pic is priceless. As for the food--it's all practice at this age anyway. As you said, the nutrition comes form the breast milk. That's what I'm predominantly giving my eight month old. My ideal is to ease him into the good stuff by giving him finger foods his virgin gums can handle, as opposed to spooning all that mush. Easy and healthy and good. We'll see how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Love the baby push up! hehe!
She is such a sweetie and 7 months! Wow time really does fly!!!

S said...

She is a DOLL.

Kimberly said...

She is precious! But in that first photo it looks like she's doing push-ups, which cracks me up. :-)

Anonymous said...

She is soooooo cute! It makes me long for the days when my kids were little. Tonight I'm hosting a teen party. Gah!

for a different kind of girl said...

She is beautiful! I love her yoga pose, and wish I could hold that one as well!

Damselfly said...

Hey, is that some red hair growing?! :) What a sweetie. I love her pushup! So strong.

Angi said...

she is just SO squeezably cute :)

louann said...

Oh wow look at her! She's about to crawl!! =)

Good luck with the toilet training, I sure hope it happens soon teehee =)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs