Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring Snow Day

Yesterday, in anticipation that we would be having a snow storm today, the kids and I went for a chilly walk after school. They wore old sweatpants and their rain boots. They splashed in puddles and got mud in their hair. They ran and laughed and splashed some more.

I waddled along behind them alternately feeling fine and feeling like I was going to give birth on the sidewalk. My body didn't think the somewhat longish walk was such a great idea and demanded to go back and sit in the La-Z-Boy for the next three days. My body is not as good at this pregnancy thing as it was 4 years ago.

But the kids had great fun and that was the point of it. They had so much fun that they required a bath before supper. That's a mark of a good time I think.

"They" cancelled school today due to the predicted snow storm, which was wonderful because we got to sleep in a little.

The kids got up and started playing together in K's room. I had these ideas of how I would entertain my kids today...thinking of craft projects, etc.

The kids played in K's room until 9 a.m. with one minor fight (which they resolved with no input from mom) when M stuck her head out and asked if she had school today. I told her no, she celebrated and went back to playing with K.

At 9:45 they emerged, asking for breakfast. Yes, they played all that time without even eating breakfast. I was able to have a conversation on the telephone with a friend while they were playing nicely. This allowed us to make plans to visit the local gymnastics gym to get some of their energy run out.

So, after a quick bowl of granola for each kid, we loaded into the 4-wheel-drive Durango and hit the snowy road. There was one car getting yanked out of the ditch, and it was a little slippery, but otherwise the short trip wasn't too bad. (Although Craig said on his way to work this morning he saw an ambulance in the ditch...don't see that every day.)

We had free passes for the gym from a birthday party we'd attended there so that was another plus. The kids ran around and played together with pretty much no incidents, and my friend and I chatted for the entire hour and a half.

Then the kids and I stopped at Target on the way home. We made our selections and purchased them. The kids were pretty well behaved.

We got home and cooked their Kid Cuisines (which they wanted and chose their own meals from the freezer section at Tar-jay...whatever, it made them happy). They both ate their meals.

There was no fighting.

Now, they're watching Cyberchase on PBS. M loves that show and she normally doesn't get to see it anymore since she's usually at school.

K will not nap today. He'll be tired and cranky tonight. This will probably cause fighting soon.

But for now, it's been a great day. And it's already 2 o'clock.

6 people like me!:

Sandy said...

We had a lot of fun too! Thanks for the playdate.

Minnesota Matron said...

Waddle, waddle. Isn't May the month? And I totally understand both the gratitude over making it till 2 without fights AND the weepy willies (March 19 post). Been there. I hope you had plenty of tissue.

Anonymous said...

You just have to treasure days like this. Hope the day continued to go so smoothly and you got to stay off your feet a bit. Those last 2 months are killers.

susiej said...

I love those days...

Alex Elliot said...

That sounds like the perfect day!

chelle said...

Days like these are the ones that make it all worth it. I remember waddling all too well :)

Blog Designed by : NW Designs