Friday, February 1, 2008

The land of the little people

Sitting at a lunch table with Kindergartners on a sunny winter morning

Are you M's mom?
Can you open this for me?
I'm having a little trouble with this.

Are you M's mom?
What's your real name?
Can you open this for me?

Are you M's mom?
Are you going to play outside with us?
Can you open this for me?

Are you M's mom?
Can you open this for me?
I'm having just a little trouble with this.

*****************************
Yes, today I helped run an activity at M's school that about 90 kindergartners rotated through within an hour and a half. 12 kids at a time.

It was actually pretty fun. The kids were all well-behaved.

Kindergartners from another school in the city (that is not very diverse ethnically) were bussed to M's school this morning for a carnival of sorts. M's school is very diverse so it's an ideal school to mingle the non-diverse school with.

It was great because I knew all of the kids in M's class already, and some of the kids from the other classes.

After the visiting kids hopped their bus back to their school it was lunchtime. I'd packed an extra sandwich in M's lunch box and an extra cookie (which M tried to claim for herself) so I stayed and ate lunch with the kids.

You can tell from my short poem what the conversation was like, and what my main function was.

I wish I could volunteer more often. It was a lot of fun.

And M thought it was great that I ate lunch with her.

4 people like me!:

Kara said...

What a fun day for both of you! I wish I could volunteer more often too.

Kacey said...

It was always such a special treat when my mom or my grandmother would come to school and eat lunch with me. Those are some of my most fond memories. Of course, once junior high hit, there was nothing more embarassing than having your mom anywhere near you. How exactly does that happen I wonder?

Anonymous said...

Volunteering is the one thing I am looking forward to when the munchkins start school! Sounds like a wonderful day!

LBA said...

those conversations are *hilarious*

Sounds like a good day :)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs