Monday, December 10, 2007

A little bit crazy

I'm a little crazy, (as if you didn't know that already if you read my blog) and decided to take my packages of recalled Mattel products to the post office this morning after I dropped Miss M off at school.

The line was about 10 deep, with a few people with 5 or more packages to mail. I warned K before we even got out of the car that we would have to stand in line for probably a long time and that I wanted him to be a good boy. I went on to clarify that, by "good boy" I meant standing next to Mommy, no running around, no screaming, no whining. Yes, I need to clarify that with him.

We stood at the end of the line and I could see a few people already rolling their eyes into the backs of their heads at the crazy lady who brought her kid to the post office. So I was already steeling myself to endure their hatred.

Then, something miraculous happened.

K actually stood by me. He kept his voice at a reasonable decibel level. He even chatted amiably with the older lady behind us.

Then, something even more miraculous happened.

"Your son is so well-behaved," commented one older lady..the kind of lady who is usually shooting daggers of death with her eyes at me because my kids are being brats in the store.

I couldn't help it. Tears sprang to my eyes.

"Thank you!" I gushed at her. "I have not heard that very often about him. So thank you."

Then he spilled his Cheerios on the floor. But he picked them all up and threw them away.

Then we got to the window, mailed our packages, received a sticker from the man and started to head out.

That's when K decided he'd been good for long enough.

"No! I don't want this sticker! I want a sucker!" (Woe to the man at the post office who gave him a sucker last week!)

He threw himself on the floor.

Yep. I knew that well-behaved kid thing wouldn't last.

5 people like me!:

Kara said...

It was nice while it lasted! Yay, K!

chelle said...

The post office is always the hardest! Kudos to K for making it that long!

soccer mom in denial said...

Yeah for K!!

I actually had a guy offer to take my envelopes and get stamps for me. And I took him up on the offer in order to get my kids out of there.

wayabetty said...

But he did it! I'd be cranky too if I had to stand in line around this time of year!

Alex Elliot said...

The post office is my least favorite place to go with my kids!!! I usually have to pretend I have no idea who my kids are because they are so terribly behaved. That's great to hear that he was complimented though before the meltdown! I've never had that!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs