Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I have it in my head...now it's in yours...

You're driving along and a song comes on the radio. Instantly you are transported to another place, another time.

It hits me at odd times, caused by seemingly strange songs to be nostalgic about. I was watching TV the other night and someone mentioned the group Wreckx-N-Effect. I was suddenly in my blue Toyota MR2, picking up a young junior hockey player for a date. Seriously. I asked him out and I picked him up in my car. We went to a movie and I thought it would be funny to play the song "Rump Shaker" for him on the way home. He was not impressed and the date was pretty much a disaster from start to finish. Go figure.

Now that I think about it, that wasn't even that song that I played for him, but for some reason that one made me think of him.

Occasionally I will get my friend Rachel and my rendition of 99 Bottles of Beer in my head. We drove from Mankato to Rochester in her little wagon that, let's just say, needed a little work. The windows couldn't be rolled down and it was hot that day. The hatch was bungee-corded shut. Worse, the radio didn't work so we amused ourselves by singing duets. She is great at harmonizing.

Any song from the Top Gun soundtrack takes me back to when that movie was popular. "Playing With the Boys" especially always makes me think of summer time.

I can't hear the song "Tainted Love" without recalling the "argument" that my friend and her then-boyfriend (now husband) had about who sings it.* We actually had to go to Sam Goody to look in one of those books that lists all the songs. (We didn't have easy Internet access, and the Internet wasn't then what it is now.)

These memories came to me as I was thinking about writing this meme...

Mrs. Chicken asked me to list the top 7 songs that I am into right now. She asked so nicely I had to oblige.


  1. Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
  2. Real Gone - Sheryl Crow
  3. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
  4. How to Save a Life - The Fray
  5. Beautiful Boy - John Lennon
  6. The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
  7. Home - Michael Buble

* In case you're wondering, it's by Soft Cell.

1 people like me!:

Amy said...

Five and six are among my all-time favorites. The Boxer reminds me of my dad.

Thanks for playing!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs